Monday, October 21, 2013

In the Midst of Fall


I feel like we're finally in the midst of fall. The temperatures have settled into the 'just right for jeans and a thin long-sleeve layer' range. It's my favorite- perfect for extra walks, open windows, crisp mornings, dawdling, and taking deeper breaths any time I set foot outside. We're hitting this stage later than we did back home. I am definitely okay with it, although I have begun to accept the fact that my internal calendar will never be un-confused again. Fall in Virginia really is lovely, but I miss the Midwest harvest- complete with endless fields changing colors and the sound of farm equipment drifting late into the night, leaving emptiness in their path.

~~~

The last two weeks were calm, yet hectic all at the same time. Keagan had two four-day weeks in a row, which was beyond wonderful. Our friend, Jared, trekked down from Pennsylvania to spend the long weekend with us, and Kiley came to enjoy a few days as well. The boys enjoyed re-living their college days, by playing Halo for hours. I spent my alone-time baking cookies, making the guys food, and catching up on homework. When Kiley came, we carved pumpkins, watched some "scary movies," and headed up to D.C.

















While in D.C., we got to witness (and walk in the middle of) the 1 Million Vets Protest. It was interesting and inspiring to see so many people defend their right to protest and enjoy the monuments that were put up in honor of them.



After the long weekend, Keagan went back to work, and it was business as usual for me. We're turning on lamps a little sooner every night, enjoying a little more time together and with friends, and doing our best to prepare for our next move.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...