Saturday, April 4, 2015

3 Months in California - what?!

So, Keagan's out on a training exercise for a few weeks, and that means I got bored enough to write a blog post... It's okay to tell you, I'm not worried about security. He's not deployed, just gone training. I keep my doors locked, and there's sufficient home security, if you know what I mean ;)

We are coming up on three months of living out in California, and I am embracing the reality of having years left in our house, instead of months like we are used to. It's a good thing, too, because for some reason it took a lot longer to feel settled this time - not that I feel fully settled, now...just mostly.

I don't have lots to share, but I figured I'd give you a quick update.


Keagan is staying very, very, busy. Yes, I know I say that in every update post that I do, but it's always true. I (foolishly) thought his schedule would be a little more friendly now that he is not in school, but I was wrong. He usually leaves the house before 5:15 AM (some weeks before 3...), and gets home around 7 or 8 PM - just enough time to eat supper and go to bed. Weekends mean recovery - he rarely leaves the living room. :) He typically has a week-long field exercise every 4-5 weeks, and 24-hour duty 2x a month. His job is teaching him a lot, though, and he is excited to see improvement in his skills. He got assigned the role of FDO (Fire Direction Officer), and works in the FDC (Fire Direction Center). I was going to try and explain everything in more depth, but then decided I'd post a link for you to follow instead... Click on the link and focus on the FDC section. Fire Direction Center Explanation. I got to see Keagan's unit in action at a family day event - it was very interesting to see the process. I am so proud of how hard he works, and he never complains.

Photo of Keagan's battery at their current field exercise


Hannah is keeping fairly busy, too. I got a job online again (since out of over 50 job applications, I got 3 interviews, and no results...yikes). It is very similar to the job I had in Oklahoma, but a lot more boring. After two trips I have planned in May and June, I will probably end up quitting that job and pursuing other jobs more seriously. For now, though, it is nice to help keep me busy, but still have some flexibility. I have also started volunteering a couple days a week at the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society again (same organization I volunteered for in Florida). Other than that, I cook, (usually) keep the house clean, and try to get outside everyday and walk with the dog, sometimes taking advantage of the 3/4 mile walk to the ocean!


Zulu is busy barking at the neighbors and getting scolded, playing with her friend Semper, enjoying the fenced in yard, and causing way too many strangers to stop and talk to me on our walks.


Also, after months of being a one-car family, we added this uniquely-colored Chevy Cruze to our garage. Yay for having two vehicles! No more waking up at 4:45 to bring Keagan into work. :)


As you've probably figured out, we don't have endless free time, but we have been able to enjoy a few evenings/afternoons spending time with friends. We have friends out here that we met in Virginia and Oklahoma before moving out here, so it's good to catch up and see them again. Keagan has a long weekend coming up after this field exercise, and then another soon after, so we may be able to venture down to San Diego and explore a bit more.

Living this close to the ocean is incredible. We've enjoyed a few evenings sitting at the top of a hill near our house, watching the sun set over the ocean. It's gorgeous, and definitely one of the perks of the place we are at right now. As great as the weather and scenery are, I definitely miss the powerful Midwest thunderstorms.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...