Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Social Media-less Adventures

When I decided to stay off Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter during Lent, it wasn't totally because of Lent, but because the timing worked out. For awhile now, I have been annoyed with social media. It took a lot of time to scroll through my newsfeed everyday, and it really didn't have many redeeming factors. Sure, I like to stay in touch with people, but I don't like weeding through stuff I don't care about in order to get to the good stuff.

Social media is great, but it can also become not-great quickly. While scrolling through, it is easy to get sucked into feelings of jealously, envy, insecurity, and inadequacy. When I wasn't careful, I found myself vulnerable to a lot of negativity.

Side note: it didn't surprise me at all to see this article a few days ago Too much Facebook leads to envy and depression

Also, I started to think about how much the time spent on social media added up. Sure, I didn't spend hours at a time on any particular site, but checking FB and Instagram a few times a day, suddenly became hours that could have been used on more productive things.

Finally, I wanted to see how much of what I did, or what I took pictures of, was done simply to post and get "likes." I want to be healthier mentally - being satisfied with what I am doing, instead of being satisfied with other peoples' response to it.

So far, I'd say it is a good break. For a week, I didn't miss Facebook or Twitter at all. Instagram, I missed a little. Now, I do miss Facebook sometimes (mostly in the afternoons when I am trying to avoid doing something mundane), or when I am sitting on the couch at night relaxing.

I am glad to be taking a break, though, and am excited to see what a few more weeks without social media brings. So far I have noticed that:

1. I focus more on what I am doing. It's easy to pull out my phone when sitting on the couch, or hanging out with my husband, or waiting in line somewhere. Without that quick and easy access, I find myself more fully engaged with my present activities.

2. I enjoy the things I do, the foods I cook, and the trips I take - without needing "likes" from people. It feels good to be able to be satisfied simply by those events and not by the feedback.

3. I have more time for more productive activities. Instead of scrolling through Facebook for 15 minutes after lunch, I read, play piano, sit outside enjoying the sun, write, OR jump into the next thing on my to-do list. While watching a few episodes of TV, I either enjoy it more fully, or work on a puzzle instead of scrolling through the newsfeed. More time for more fulfilling activities.

4. Less comparison. I am at a season in life where I am having to make some decisions about career and life plans. I know that I am vulnerable to comparison and it is easy for me to be negative when I see the success of others plastered all over the place. Without social media, I can focus more on my goals and where I am at and remember that we all have separate journeys. At the same time, I still struggle with this when I read blogs, talk to others, etc. I am still working on a healthier perspective.

5. I find it easier to get up in the morning and start my day more quickly. It's easy to stay in bed as I check Facebook and Instagram, but now that I can't do that, I get up and get going right away. I think it makes me feel more energized and positive.

Considering all of this, I will be going back to social media on April 6th. I think social media is a great tool to stay in contact with others. I will, however, be much more mindful of how often I use it, and I plan on limiting my newsfeed more - I hope to do less scrolling through pages of information, and instead use social media more intentionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...